Monday, December 24, 2012

Holiday

Elijah and I walked out of a store and were surprised to find an ice sculpture extravaganza, complete with a tree and ice bear. Not pictured: Santa, a slide, dolphins, and the ice house.


There are Christmas decorations everywhere, but they aren't for Christmas. They are for New Year's. Tomorrow, Christmas Day, isn't a holiday. It's a Tuesday. Some of my friends will be working. Because it is just a day, like yesterday, and the day before that.

I'm still anticipating, though. I still have butterflies, or too much caffeine, whatever.

It's not that I expect Santa to find me here, I'm too old for that.

And I'm not dreaming of a White Christmas... there is plenty of snow here.

I just love this time of year, even without the usual traditions, because tomorrow is the day we celebrate light penetrating darkness. And the darkness was all like... what??? 

And the light was like, yeah.. that's right. You're not all powerful.

And the darkness trembled. Because it knew the light would win.

And some people didn't understand, because how can a baby save the world?

But there were shepherds, working the night shift, and they believed.

And years and years later, I'm here. As far from my family as I could be. Eating omelets with people I've known for four months. Wearing yak wool socks because they are the warmest socks in the world. Making a Christmas tree out of paper. And so jazzed up with anticipation, believing that light has penetrated the darkness.

And the darkness is trembling. Because it knows the light will win.

The darkness will put up a hell of a fight, but the light will win.

Because Hope conquers fear. Joy defeats despair. Peace reigns victorious. 
And Christmas is so much more than a Tuesday.