Monday, August 13, 2012

Sunday in Beijing

Yesterday we had the chance to spend the whole morning alone in a time of reflection. We were encouraged to find a place where we could connect with Father and quiet our minds, so obviously I took the bus to Starbucks.

Really, I did.


On the very full bus ride to the mall, He spoke to my heart and said, "Look around, look at all of these people. They are my children. I am working here." I don't have any relationships with any of those people, and that is okay. That is not why I am here. But He knows them by name. Is there really anything more exciting than that?

Two things have really challenged me recently. The first one was said by a fellow teacher, who heard it from a speaker back in the U.S. She said that often we think that we will stay wherever we are until He tells us to go somewhere else. So we stay. And we stay. And we stay. But why not GO until He tells us to stay?

Why not GO?

The second thing was said by our speaker last night, a brother here in this city. He said that our lives are like scales. We have to find balance and have equal weight on both sides of the scale. We are often told that when our life is out of balance, we need to take something off of the scale. Work is too stressful? School is too difficult? Cut some things out of your schedule! Do less! However, we could also add some more weight to the other side of the scale to balance things out. Life is too stressful? Drink from the living water. Get more involved with the work He is doing around you. Trust in Him to provide rest.

I can honestly tell you that there have already been tearful moments where all I want is a burrito bowl from Chipotle and an episode of White Collar. But He has met me in those moments with the food and water I really need. His grace is enough :)

Blessings,
Carissa