Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Day I Climbed A Wall

Today I climbed a wall.

Not just any wall, mind you. This was a very large, very great wall. So great, in fact, that some call it the Great Wall.

We started the morning with bags full of packed lunches and water bottles, hearts full of anticipation. We piled into the van with flies and freshly-showered friends. About an hour later we arrived at an entrance to the wall and bought a ticket for 45RMB each (about $8).

The climb started like any other climb: one foot in front of the other. We reached a landing and surveyed our options. To the left, a large crowd heading up the steps to the next landing. To the right, an empty pathway leading to another section of the Wall. I took the road most traveled.



The stairs were uneven and cracked, increasing the "historical" vibe. We reached another landing with some souvenir shops and continued our journey. The guys led the way up the stairs, but soon we lost them in the crowd. As we climbed, the sweat began to pour. At first it was a nice glisten on our foreheads, but before long it was dripping into our eyes and off our chins. A child ran past me up the stairs. Humph, I thought, if he can run, so can I! An elderly woman brushed past me. If she can do this, so can I! A young lady in heels skipped up the stairs. Are you frickin kidding me?!?

At the next landing we met a couple from Australia. They were out of breath too, so I'm thinking it's a white person thing, and not just an American thing.




Up, up, up we went. Some stairs were about an inch high, others were almost three feet high, and now I know why they say you are "climbing" the Great Wall, and not "walking" it. Some stairs were straight ahead, some spiraled, and my hands turned orange from clinging to the rusty railing.



My legs ached. My breath came in staggered gasps. We stopped for pictures and a sip of water. The blue sky seemed to stretch forever. I think the Heavens really wanted us to see the scene in all it's Glory, because the sky is not always clear and a breeze does not usually bless the souls who make this climb. We reached another landing and met up with one of our Mongolian language teachers. Onward!



The next landing was up ahead and I knew I could make it. That is it, the top! With a final thrust I conquered the last few steps and proudly turned the corner, only to find another steep staircase. I sat, defeated, and reached into my bag for toilet paper to wipe the sweat from my brow. A woman in a beautiful green and blue dressed walked passed, her black pumps lightly tapping the stone walkway. She smiled at us, our makeup smudged, sweat mingling with tears, fragments of tp stuck to our faces. She smiled and kept climbing. I looked at my companion, and we knew we must continue. 



The higher we went, the smaller the crowd, until I found myself panting, alone, with only the sky and the wall to keep me company. I took a picture of myself, and sheepishly put my camera down when another English speaker walked by. "Want me to take your picture?" He asked. "Oh, no, but thank you. My friends are up ahead." "Some friends!" He laughed. I tried to laugh back, but I needed to save my breath. Only a few more stairs..

And then, it happened. I saw my destination up ahead. As I reached the landing I looked at my watch. Ninety minutes of climbing, one water bottle, and 145 pictures later, I made it. 



I'll admit, I cried a little, looking out at the majesty, as I stood between the bathroom facilities and one side of the Wall. The same One who made me, made this land. The word Great took on a whole new meaning.

We decided to climb down the way we came. It was a quicker trip, but no less precarious. Our muscles spasmed with each step. I spent 15RMB on another bottle of water (they are 3RMB at the grocery store). We clutched the railing even tighter on the way down, knowing that a human game of dominos on the wall would not be the best way to end our journey. I saw the weary faces of travelers headed toward the top. I tried to smile encouragingly, but I'm not sure my soaked shirt or shaky legs did much to inspire confidence. I was confident, though. I had pressed on and persevered. And by noontime I had officially added an ace card to my deck of conversation pieces. 



But to be honest, the best part wasn't climbing as high as we could, or the Subway ham sandwich I ate on the ride back to the hotel. The thing I'll always remember is what it felt like to see a glimpse of Heaven, to lift my eyes up to the hills and know that my Father made those hills, and He loves when we spend the day getting as close to Him as we can.


Sign reads: IF YOU HAVE HEART OR BRAIN DISEASE, PLEASE ASCEND THE GREAT WALL ACCORDING TO YOUR CAPABILITY
Today, I climbed a very large, very great wall.