"There is girl kitten at store. She will be my friend. No girlfriend... I must buy girl kitten." He was sad because the kitten would drain his financial resources and his cell phone was broken, but he thought it was a good investment because of the emotional boost he would receive through the kitten's love. "No phone is okay," he said, "Kitten is best for me."
A few days later he told me he bought the girl kitten, and he also bought a boy kitten. His cell phone was still broken, but he loved his new pets. He named the girl "Love" and the boy "Pig" in Korean. "Because I like girls," he said.
The next day my teaching mentor was visiting the first year teachers in Mongolia. He teaches in China and taught our TEFL courses. He was observing my class, taking notes, and sitting in the back, right next to this student.
Before class began, as I was standing in the front, I called to the student and asked about the kittens.
"Oh, it's ok. Girl kitten is sick."
"Aw, what do you mean?"
"She... she..." and he said something I didn't understand. The class laughed, and he tried again. More laughing. A few more times he loudly said a couple words I didn't quite catch.
Finally, my mentor yells "Diarrhea! Your cat has diarrhea."
"Oh, oh, oh yes. Diarrhea. Diarrhea on my bed."
After class, I found out what he was saying, loudly, as he sat next to my mentor observing my teaching.
"Shit water....shit water!"
Thanks, dude. :)
![]() |
| My students working on group projects |

