Thursday, April 25, 2013

Unconquerable

I woke up and immediately knew something was wrong. My computer was open from the night before, and my Facebook news feed glared. The typical cheerful or funny updates were gone, and instead I saw "Praying for Boston" and "Don't worry guys, I'm safe!"

My 7am was Boston's 7pm, and the news about the Marathon was still unfolding. In panic I searched through Facebook to make sure everyone I knew was safe. My friends were nearby, but no one close to me was injured. With a mixture of relief, sadness, and confusion, I went to school.

Like anyone else, I can't quite process how it feels to have my home attacked. I've never been very patriotic, but this year has shown me just how much a significant chunk of my heart resides in Boston.

A few weeks ago my students memorized this poem, and I think it is fitting now. #BostonStrong

If you ask any of my students what it means, they'll tell you it's simple: Never give up.


Invictus (William Ernest Henley)
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.