| my neighborhood |
This semester, a typical day gets me out the door by 8:10am to catch a bus to get to school. I make myself a cup of tea, get my supplies, and head to room 201. I teach four grammar classes every morning. My first class is the beginners. They try so hard and we have fun trying to communicate. Sometimes I speak a little Mongolian to help them out. A lot of the time they try and speak to me in Mongolian, thinking I understand more than I do. We laugh a lot, which is good first thing in the morning.
The next class is the most advanced level at our school. They really want to get into an English speaking university next year. Their level is considered intermediate English, and they take their studies very seriously. Over the past seven weeks of teaching them, it's been exciting to see them bond as a class. They've started meeting each other on the weekends and that camaraderie is making our classroom dynamic much more positive.
| Some students from my first class of the day and the speaking teacher, Tom. This was after the school Talent Show. |
After that, we all get a 10 minute break and then I teach the second-highest level. This class is made up of 15 girls and one guy. There is constant giggling throughout every activity, which I still haven't decided if I like or not : ). We laugh a lot though and already have some inside jokes.
Finally, my morning ends with the second-lowest level. They have a soft spot in my heart because it is such a unique group. Some of my oldest students are in that class, along with a 10 year old student. Usually 6-7 students show up, and sometimes they look so defeated at the end of the day, while other times they are full of life and eager to learn. I never know what to expect with them, but I also always feel like we are in this together - learning something new every day.
After classes, the teachers and I head to the cafeteria for a quick lunch. Sometimes we have a staff meeting right after lunch, other times we need to get materials ready so the TAs can make copies for us for the next day. Two days a week I have Mongolian class. My teacher is so patient with me because so far I have not been a very good student. I really need to put more effort into studying and memorizing vocabulary outside of class!
Sometimes on Tuesday nights I get to meet up with a Mongolian friend for dinner. She works at a different language school. On Wednesday nights I attend a Mongolian women's small group. Thursday nights our Sunday morning music team has training with a musician from another group. Friday I meet with American teachers for dinner and quality conversation. Usually by Friday we are all exhausted, but for me, at least, it has been a happy exhausted. This is what I love doing!
| some of my favorite people : ) this was on Sunday and includes some of my musician friends. love them all. |