Monday, August 15, 2016

My Favorite Things

The theme for this year is thankfulness and I really have so much to be thankful for. I wrote this post from my parents' house in the US where the grass was green, the sun was shining, and the coffee kept coming :) This summer has been a much needed rest and I think I'll be more of my best self in the coming year because of it! But, as much as I love America, I also love Mongolia. So here are 4 of my favorite things in my home sweet home of Ulaanbaatar:


Movie theaters
I've always loved going to the movies. In groups, with a friend, on my own - doesn't matter. I love sitting down in a big theater to enjoy a movie with popcorn in hand. In Mongolia tickets cost about $3-4, popcorn is even cheaper, and there is always at least one English movie playing. When you get your tickets, you can choose a seat, so there is no waiting in line before the movie starts. There is even a sense of adventure. One time a dog was barking through the whole thing. Love it.


Yak socks
In the coldest capital city in the world, socks are everything. When the winters get and stay at -40, you can't just rely on regular socks though, and it's ridiculous to buy the stuff they sell at expensive sport stores. Just get a trusty pair or two of Mongolian yak wool socks for $2-4. You can wear them for days without getting sweaty, they wash up fine in the washing machine, and if you pair them with regular socks, you will never be cold. Ever.


Chocolate spread
You may have heard of Nutella, the chocolate hazelnut spread that is clearly made from the laughter of angels, but Mongolia doesn't stop there. We have shelf upon shelf of chocolate spreads, from chocolate vanilla to chocolate caramel. I'm not sure if it's because so much is imported from Russia and China, or if shop owners are just genius, but whatever the case, you can buy this stuff anywhere and eat it on bread, fruit, or with a spoon.


Karaoke
I like to call these karaoke bars - which I think are inspired from South Korean karaoke - the karaoke for introverts. Instead of performing in front of total strangers like we do in the US, you get to rent a small room with your friends that includes a private TV and book of songs for about $10/hour. The TV shows the lyrics and super awkward video footage in the background while you sing into the 2 microphones provided. If you're lucky, your room might even come with a tamborine. Basically it feels like a slumber part from elementary school and it's awesome.

So there are 4 of the things I can't help but love in Mongolia :) I'm back in UB now with only 2 weeks until classes start. I'm making it a priority to stay thankful this semester, in both the big and small things. I hope you're doing the same!