Friday, July 13, 2012

The Day I Remembered

A friend encouraged me to write down Awesome moments during my time of preparation. I've definitely missed a few, but it is so encouraging to remember:


  • I stumbled upon this organization's website and filled out an inquiry form, only to find out I know several people who have travelled with them before.
  • Everything about the application and interview process went well, including the day I had to fill out a ton of paperwork I happened to have a day off from work.
  • I was super nervous about telling my boss, and then he ended up encouraging me every step of the way and even learned some Chinese to use around the office!
  • Right away various ways for me to make some extra $$ came to light, including friends who had fundraising ideas.
  • Every. Single. Time. I got discouraged, a friend would send me an encouraging email or a new donor would send me a check. I can only hope to be such an incredible blessing to others.
  • My team seems fantastic. I've only talked to them a little, and I'll meet them at the airport, but I am so excited to get to know them. I love them already.
  • As I'm reading the assigned books, I'm learning more about the Mongolian culture and ways to be an effective teacher. There is no way to be fully prepared for this sort of thing, but I'm so glad there isn't "busywork" involved. It is really meaningful stuff!
  • 100% of my funds have come in or are pledged. Wow. That seemed impossible six months ago.
  • At Starbucks yesterday a man saw me working on an assignment and asked me about it. Turns out he is super involved in Awesome work around the world. We chatted for a bit and it was crystal clear that the Call is not just about one life, it is about all of us working in a bigger story.
I don't want to forget these. The challenges ahead are just more opportunities for Awesome moments to happen.