Thursday, July 26, 2012

Kids These Days

Tonight was the last night of VBS. I led the memory station where we did a quick activity and talked about the night's story.

So I gave the kids play doh, and they made cool stuff with it. Just like when the boy gave up his five loaves and two fish, and something crazy happened. (Ok, ok, the connection was a little shaky tonight :)

And the kids and I talked about how there are other things we should give, like our gifts and talents, because the one who created those gifts and talents can use them in amazing ways.

And then, at the end of the night, the kids gave me a gift of $350 toward my trip. Wow.

I got to share with them what I'm doing (starting in FOUR days!!) and how I would be going somewhere that needed teachers, and they joined right in! We talked about ways to be kind and compassionate, and ways to help others in need. And I can't help but imagine what these kids will do someday. It is so important that they have the chance to dream of ways to use their gifts today and tomorrow and a few years from now. It is imperative that they know the adults in their lives are following the example set by the boy who gave up his whole lunch. We are all part of a much bigger story.

I'm so excited to find a way to use that $$ to bless others, and I'm so thankful for the children I got to hang out with this week. California, I will see you on Monday. China, I will see you Wednesday. Mongolia, the countdown is most definitely on :)